Steavenson Falls, a waterfall on the Steavenson River, is located 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) south east of Marysville, Victoria.
The falls are some of the tallest in Victoria, with five cascades and a total descent of 122 metres (400 ft), the last having a clear drop of more than 21 metres (69 ft).
A track to the falls was first cut in 1866, the falls themselves named after John Steavenson, the Assistant Commissioner of Roads and Bridges, who first visited the site of what is now known as Marysville in 1862.
Dense forest covers the entire Steavenson Falls Reserve across the steep-sided valley. Pure stands of Mountain Ash which regenerated after the 1939 bushfires grow in sheltered places.
Elsewhere the forest contains a mixture of eucalyptus species, the sheltered river margins supporting several species of fern, their height bearing testimony to their considerable age.
Lyrebirds are often seen in the morning and after rainfall searching for insects and worms. It’s easy to see where they have been by the prominent scratch marks in the leaves and twigs on the ground.
There are a number of walks in the reserve, varying from easy to the more difficult.
A well-defined path leads to the foot of the first torrent and the falls are floodlit between dusk and midnight.
A turbine driven by water drawn from the weir at the base of the falls generates power for the floodlights and the lights along the paths. Marysville’s water supply also originates from this weir.
Address: Falls Rd, Marysville VIC 3779
Ph: (03) 5963 4567